Wednesday 4 July 2012

Moms That Cant Breastfeed

I think that there's mothers out there that are not made to breastfeed, not because of any normal breastfeeding issue, but because they are unable. These are mothers that have tried everything, gotten the proper help & have still not been able to breastfeed. There is not support out there for these mothers, & they feel terribly depressed & less of a woman because of this. If this is you reading this page then I hope that you find some kind of encouragement from knowing that you are not the .

Here are some tales of other mothers with the same problem:

Annie...
”I searched the web for anybody who has had a similar dilemma as myself and could not find a single article etc. I had my little boy a year
back, throughout my pregnancy (first pregnancy) I realized that my breasts where not swollen, but didn’t fret a great deal about it. What does a first time mommy know? All I knew was that I couldn’t wait to experience holding him and breastfeeding him for the first time.
The doctor and nurses reassured me a day after he was born, that my milk would start coming in after the third day…so I waited…nothing! And the worst part was everybody was still expecting me to breastfeed my child…saying that there was no such thing as a woman who cannot breastfeed or who doesn’t have milk. I can remember lying on the hospital bed crying through the night with my baby, he was so hungry and every time I called a nurse to help they would bring me 40ml of formula milk. I tried breastfeeding for two whole months…Don stayed hungry so I had to start feeding him formula with trying to breastfeed him.
I asked the doctor for help and she put me on tablets, tablets that would help me produce milk. Later I started using the pump to see how much milk was in fact coming out, the most milk I could get out in a day was about 100ml. After about three months of trying I stopped entirely. I was depressed about this but my husband made me feel better by saying that it was best if I rather stop worrying about it and just begin feeding Donovan formula.
I was ridiculed by my own family, told how unhealthy it was to stop breastfeeding, even though they knew how I had struggled. Even our pediatrician when he asked if Donovan was still being breastfed said that most mothers give up too fast! I felt terrible…I felt like there was something wrong with me.
I really feel that there should be more info out there for moms, especially first time moms who feel insecure and who don’t know what to do, how to do things properly etc. I want to have another child but I can’t bare going through the same thing again. For me breastfeeding is very important and I think that it really does help allot for bonding with your child because I felt very distant towards my baby in the beginning.
I can’t imagine being able to breastfeed and then deciding not to. It’s such a precious gift that most people just take for granted.”

Amie:
I had the exact same issue. No desired to tell me that some ladies cannot breast feed. To this day I still wonder why breastfeeding is thought of as an ideal function, why it appears to be exempt from the complications that any biological function may suffer. Life is not that simple. There is a reason for wet nurses & formula beyond a stereotypical excuse like convenience. I think that some ladies cannot produce breast milk. Whether it be hormonal or genetic, it is a reality that for whatever reason has been down-played & ignored by all of the medical community. It is mournful . To make a woman feel like less than a woman or father because her breasts basically won't fill with milk is ignorant & abusive. I wish that someone would dedicate more time, money & research in to this subject.












By Amanda:

I had the same issue. I could only pump about 1-2 tbsp. a day. I pumped & pumped every day for several weeks. But I finally gave up. I could not stand trying to get her to breastfeed her sucking a small & then screaming. He wasn't getting anything!! I was SO depressed & mad at myself over it. I thought what kind of brother cannot make milk for her child. I took herbs & drank herbal tea that was supposed to help. But I could not find any information or help on the subject online or from my doctor. He said formula fed kids can be as healthy. I don't think he realized the emotional effect of it all! I keep in mind my first month or so with my small girl as a nasty depressed miserable time. I am pregnant again now. I hope I can keep from feeling that same way again. I have a different outlook on it now. My daughter is of the healthiest children I have ever seen. I have no pump this time. & I am not going to buy. I am going to try a week or & if it doesn't work formula will! I do wish I could find some information on what could've caused it. But there appears to be no help out there.


0 comments:

Post a Comment