Sunday 15 July 2012

7 Ways to Defy Your Age

7 Ways to Defy Your Age

 What's scarier than battling legions of undead ghouls or rogue government agents, as Bruce Campbell has dashingly completed in The Nasty Dead film series & USA Network's Burn Notice, respectively? Turning 50.

I was doing a fight scene on the TV show, & I wasn't stretched & I was one time twenty pounds heavier than I am today, & when I went to knee this stuntman in the face, I blew a hamstring. Popped it right off the bone, recalls the 52-year elderly Campbell, heavily featured in tonight's Burn Notice (ten p.m. ET) For twenty years, I had worked out for the films. That made me recognize, I'd better beginning working out for me.

Campbell, who has a formidable cult following & one time wrote a bestseller encouraging fans to Make Love the Bruce Campbell Way, now has a more practical kind of advice. Here's the actor-slash-filmmaker, in his own words, on how to age gracefully the Bruce Campbell way. (And: Learn the secret to outliving, outwitting, & outlasting men half your age! Discover 50 Ways Add Years to Your Life.)

1-Quick Fixes
You can always go under the knife, hack yourself to pieces, or take a bunch of pills. Lots of Americans do that, but I think it's a losing bet. Most of us know the best ways to take care of ourselves, but they lack the discipline, focus, and tenacity to live that way. At this age, you can still turn it all around. You can drop the twenty pounds in the event you require to. Fundamentally, the choice is this: Do I require an simple exit or a crash landing? At 50, those are your options.

2-State of Mind
In the event you wake up thinking you're going to have a lousy day, guess what: You're going to have a lousy day. I am liking to wake up each morning and ask myself what kind of day I require to have. That doesn't mean crappy things aren't going to happen, but I'm not going to have a crappy attitude about any of it. They spend a lot time trying to build rock hard abs and giant biceps, but mental health is key, . Look at our top-tier athletes. They are specimens of physical perfection, but they still choke sometimes. That's a mental health issue. Keep your mind agile, healthy, positive, and calm.


3-The Long Haul
For twenty years, I had trainers & special diets & all that shit, & it all made me frickin crazy. The trick is: Discover a program that works for you & doesn't you, so it's a lifestyle choice, not some 30-day desperation plan. Go see your doctor. Find out where you are now. Then make some changes & see your doctor again in a year. Looking after yourself isn't a sprint it's a lifestyle.

 
4-Running
I always loved riding my bicycle as a infant, so why not do it as a grown man? Find the things you enjoy doing, & do them passionately, regularly, & have fun with them. In Miami, where they shoot Burn Notice, they have these straight paths you can ride for 30 miles. I get on the bicycle & take off. I don't require the Spandex. I don't require to be the man with the $1,000 bicycle. I'm in it for me. I can do a lollygag pace for hours & I'm getting everything I require. & I love it.

5-Water Sports
After my knee injury, it was 11 weeks of physical therapy to walk again, so I did lots of rehab in the swimming pool. The pool is great because it's fun, & it's like being a infant again. But it's as well as a terrific workout for your whole body. I could do a water video & put it out there that's how lovely I am in the water. Swimming is a permanent part of my repertoire.

6-Hiking
When I'm not working, I live in Oregon, where you're either going up a hill or a down a hill in every single place you go, much. I don't backpack, I hike. I hit the trials & walk. I can hike for six hours without exerting myself & I've had a great day of exercise. I don't feel like I've worked out, but I've gotten a great workout. (Head to the back country to Find Your Next Great Adventure.)

 
7-The Caveman Workout
Rocky IV is of my favorite movies. Rocky was training by picking up rocks & chopping wood. Dolph Lundgren has all this high-tech equipment to do ideal, exact measurements, but Rock's, like, No, I'm going to climb a mountain. & then they kicks the Russian's ass! So I do a 40-minute, low-grade, Jack La Lane workout: a medicine ball & some hand weights, crunches, & a small lifting. But a third of what I do now is stretching. Mobility is as important to me as having giant guns. I'm limber, man, & I've dropped a couple of pants sizes.

0 comments:

Post a Comment